- Check database integrity.
- Defragment indexes by reorganizing them or rebuilding them.
- Set the fill factor for a server.
Do following process to run maintenance plan wizard with SQL Server Management studio 2008.
- Open SQL Server management studio and do login.
- Select Management and right click maintenance plans and Choose Maintenance Plan wizard.
- Click next until select plan property page.
- Give name and description as desired.
Select weather configures one or more maintenance plans.
- To configure a single maintenance plan, select Single schedule for the entire plan or no schedule.
- To configure multiple maintenance plans with specific tasks, select Separate schedules for each task.
- For the database more than 10 content databases or having larger size of database, it is recommended to go for separate maintenance plans.
- Click on change button to create a schedule or timer job to run maintenance plan.
It will open Job Schedule Properties dialog box.
- Set schedule as per requirement.
- After scheduling click OK and Next.
Next page is to select maintenance tasks page. This page will show the list of all maintenance tasks required for SharePoint Maintenance.
- Need to take care in selecting index reorganization or index rebuilding. A maintenance plan should include any one from index reorganization and index rebuilding, Not Both.
- A maintenance plan should never include shrinking a database.
- Maintenance cleanup task will remove files left after scheduled Maintenance.
Next page will be Select Maintenance Task Order Page.
- You can change the order of the tasks in the plan on this page. Then click next.
Next page will be Database Check Integrity Task Page.
- Select databases to reorganizing index and check compact large object check box. Then click ok.
Define Rebuild Index Task page
- Select databases and configure as below. And click next.
- Define Maintenance Cleanup Task page
- Select options as required and click next.
Select Report Options
- Give path to save log file.
- Then click finish to start the maintenance plan process.
- To shrink database do following process.
- Start SQL server management studio 2008.
- In Databases, select the database you want to shrink.
- Right click the database, select tasks, Shrink, files.
- Select the file type and file name.
- Select reorganize files before releasing unused space.
- Then click OK